As you are no doubt aware, the COVID-19 pandemic has changed daily life for every American, including those of us in the construction and engineering field. ACMS Group continues to operate as an essential business, but we take COVID-19 workplace safety in Indiana very seriously.
Our company is prioritizing workplace safety by following OSHA-issued guidelines. Since COVID-19 is a respiratory illness, spread by coughing, sneezing and otherwise expelling respiratory droplets, we have introduced additional safety measures to our practice. If you need a refresher course on how to keep your team safe during this pandemic, follow these workplace safety tips for COVID-19 in Indiana:
- Keep workers home if they’re sick: If any of your employees are showing signs of COVID-19 (fever over 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit, a dry cough and shortness of breath are the most common symptoms), require them to stay home until they’ve recovered. You may wish to ask them to get a COVID-19 test if possible.
- Use face coverings to prevent spread: Since the novel coronavirus is a respiratory illness, wearing cloth face coverings can prevent an asymptomatic carrier from spreading respiratory droplets without realizing it. Only use N95 masks if your job specifically requires it, since there is currently a mask shortage for healthcare workers.
- Require social distancing measures: Social distancing measures are designed to help slow the spread by keeping physical distance between people. Coughing, sneezing, talking and even singing can propel the virus several feet away—the CDC and OSHA recommend that people stay six feet or more away from each other whenever possible.
- Frequently disinfect oft-touched objects and areas: If workers have to share tools and equipment, provide disinfecting supplies to ensure they can clean off the tools before coming into contact with the potentially-infected equipment.
- Offer PPE educational sessions: You may wish to offer special educational sessions about COVID-19 and your expectations for using PPE and disinfectants. This helps ensure everyone is on the same page.
- Encourage frequent handwashing and disinfecting: Make sure that you and your workers wash your hands frequently with soap and water, or use hand sanitizer when water isn’t available. This is one of the best ways to kill the virus and halt its spread.
- Utilize additional handwashing stations: If possible, offer additional handwashing stations on job sites, complete with soap and water.
- Disinfect restrooms and sinks several times per day: Any restroom facilities you have on-site or in the office should be disinfected two or three times per day. Handles, doorknobs and other frequently-touched areas should get special attention.
- Have exposed workers monitor their symptoms: If your employees have been exposed to COVID-19 within the last two weeks, have them monitor their symptoms before they come to work. The virus takes two to 14 days to incubate, meaning they may erroneously assume they’re just fine, which will spread it further.
ACMS Group takes COVID-19 and workplace safety in Indiana seriously. If you have questions about our coronavirus safety policies or need recommendations for your construction or engineering project, call us today.